Seeing Doctor | Living with ADHD

Seeing the doctor

Your General Practitioner (GP)

Your GP may be the first person you see if you have suspected ADHD, and might refer you to a specialist (possibly a psychiatrist or a pediatrician).

The specialist

The specialist will carry out an assessment which might include the following:

  • A discussion with you and your parents (both separately and all together).
  • A medical examination - which can rule out any other conditions which might mimic the symptoms of ADHD (i.e. hearing impairment).
  • Special tests (psychological and psychometric assessments) to see if you have any other challenges apart from ADHD (such as difficulty reading, and so on).
Resources image ADHD
Resources icon teenager ADHD


Visit our resource center for useful information and helpful activities for parents, teachers and teenagers living with ADHD.

Living with ADHD cover